Friday, February 15, 2008

A Twinge

And so I came back home feeling really good. I had done the day's worth of damage control. My mother had had a great day too. She was back from her weekly discussion (with other like-minded women, I guess) on saintly writings, where many a verse in Sanskrit are also translated and discussed. As we sat chatting, my mum quoted the subhashit which tells that contentment is man's biggest adornment. I reminisced about my 'rants' yesterday and wondered if I really want contentment. Maybe, but only a moment's contentment. I wouldn't expect myself to be content and still have the desire to live. Then came the twinge- what about those who never find contentment? Those, whose life is so full of worries that a moment's contentment is but an impossible dream- the farmer with a debt he can never repay, the refugee who doesn't know where he has to run next, the street urchin who struggles to earn his daily bread. And then I was back to the center of my world- me. I have to prepare for the mid-sems. And 'A' is waiting for me. Oh, what is life? Why do we live?

7 comments:

Sharvari said...

life is a bag of surprises... u never know what might just pop out of that bag!
And we live coz we have to live and there are some ppl who live coz we live... so live and let live.

Abhinav Maurya said...

Eh sorry, I do not identify with this post. Or with anguish of any sort.

In today's day and age, anguish is our panacea ultimate, a balm that must soothe our scruples without meaning while we walk through our lives like blind men who've cut out their eyes for the fear of seeing. And often it is our anguish that makes lives much bearable to most of us. A quack's medicine, that's what it is.

And in the worst cases, it is also a fad that corrupts the beauty of the Arts. And music, the most sublime and controlled and hence the most enticing, is always the first to fall prey.

Abhinav Maurya said...

@Wanderer: What you are saying is what the best documentaries belonging to the realist school of cinema capture, though they manage to do it with a lot of potent meaning.

Amogh said...

@ Abhinav
The reason for my anguish is that I'm still a kid. I cannot imagine myself outside my comfort zone. Plainly said, I lack the guts. But yeah, I am an expert at self-delusion or rather self-direction, and manage to keep myself happy most of the time. Yet, I wonder if this self-centeredness hampers my creativity somehow, if it restricts my weltanschauung in some way...

Abhinav Maurya said...

@Amogh: I really doubt what you say. If I didn't think that you were strong enough, I wouldn't have done you the honour of criticism. :-)

As for delusion, we are all deluded in our own ways (at least I'm). There is this notion of all human beings living in their own cubicles lined with mirrors and when they look out, they can't see anything else but their own reflections.

P.S.: I don't know why but my talk and stance is becoming more un-Tagorean by the day.

goyalakshay said...

we live to achieve CONTENTMENT. but we never get it coz once we get it..the purpose of life ends !

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.