Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The post-CAT-result-post

The CAT result turned out to be a bit better than expected. We were playing box cricket at Hooper's when I messaged and got a reply. A percentile of 99.96! I had indeed sailed English. As I trundled back to college alone, Srikanth called up to say that correspondents from the Times of India were headed to VJTI. Later in the evening, we had a terrific interview, one in which Srikanth pulled their leg more than once (read Srikanth's blog to know his opinion about TOI) . We were joined by a visibly elated Ashish at the end. Srikanth chronicles his experience here.

I have calls from all 6 IIMs. People around me are going berserk. My mum,dad,sis, bro-in-law and even my niece can't contain their joy. My mum has parked herself beside the phone. I was pretty poker-faced throughout yesterday evening- it was no big deal; Srikanth felt the same (boy! are we buddies!). It's perhaps because we didn't consider the CAT to be life-defining (at least not when we took it). As my mum spoke to my relatives, I was glued to the PC (as usual), noticing her excitement and elation. Late at night, my sis told my mum that she only wished she was here to celebrate the occasion (she's moved to London). My mother mentioned that it was 8 January, my grandfather's death anniversary. I heard that, and then came the tears. I went back in time-more than 15 years- my grandpa was telling me a story. A great teacher and a scholar in the truest sense, he's an idol to me. The memory was vague. But in that moment, the bond had renewed. I felt blessed. It had finally sunk in.

Now I know what it means to people around me. Its amazing that a simple test result can give them so much joy. I guess that's what it means to be human. I'm conscious and loving it. And the happiness is richly deserved by my parents, who have probably done more than I have to make sure things went well. I remember my dad's concern when he took me on a tour of coaching classes for MBA on blistering May afternoons. (I had to sacrifice an afternoon nap or two for that!). Congratulations to my family...and thanks!

PS: This is only the first step. The group discussions and personal interviews are still to go. So, it should all be back to normal very soon. By the way, here's a link to the TOI article. There's a pic on page 2 of the e-paper of Jan 9, 2008- Me, Srikanth and Ashish supposedly being 'natural' as we chatted!! What an ego-boost!

PPS: My 'Today's fortune' on Orkut : A friend asks only for your time not your money.
All those seeking a treat from me should note this!

4 comments:

Fiddler said...

"And the happiness is richly deserved by my parents..."

"Conscious and loving it"

Impressive.

Aditya Sengupta said...

Kudos mate! You thoroughly deserve it.

Wish I had stayed on in the quad a while longer to catch the photo shoot;-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.